Nexus

Atlanta’s film industry booms

Coined the

Courtesy of ECG Productions

Coined the "Hollywood of the South", Atlanta continues to be one of the top filming locations for movies in the US.

When you think of successful movie industries, places such as Hollywood or New York may come to mind. In reality, Atlanta, Georgia is currently one of the top locations in the film industry. Also known as “the Hollywood of the South”, Georgia productions generated almost $9.5 billion in the year 2017 alone.        

Along with having a great climate, most of the film industry’s success is due to the state’s film incentive program. The program awards up to thirty percent of what a production spends back in tax credits just for including the Georgia logo in the credits. This program is a big factor in Georgia’s economic growth.

Many movies and television series are currently being filmed in this very city. Make sure to check them out, there’s a chance you could catch them filming around the area!

Disney’s Jungle Cruise, starring Emily Blunt and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, the spin-off on the popular theme park ride, is set to be released in the summer of 2020. Although not much information has been released yet, filming locations include Atlanta, South America, and Hawaii.

A show set in the 1980s, Netflix’s Stranger Things has been a smash hit. Filmed in Atlanta, the city’s topography was similar to the Midwest, which is what the show’s directors had in mind.

Legacies, a spin-off on the CW show, The Originals, is set to feature Vampire Diaries actor Matt Davis. The movie was filmed in the Atlanta metro area, and is expected to debut October 25, 2018 on the CW.

With the first Life-Size movie being around 20 years old, the long awaited sequel Life-Size 2 is also being filmed in Atlanta. The star of the original movie, Lindsay Lohan is not yet confirmed to be returning to the cast, but co-star and supermodel Tyra Banks is confirmed to return.

Filmed about an hour drive outside of Atlanta in Senoia, Georgia, the Walking Dead is currently on its ninth season. The beloved show mostly takes place in rural areas of the state, but has also been filmed in more well known areas of the city, like the CDC building.

oDynasty: Filmed in Buckhead, Dynasty, an ‘80s prime time soap opera, follows the dramatic and ritzy lives of two of America’s wealthiest families: the Carringtons and the Colbys. Season two of the show is currently airing on the CW.

Black Lightning, an American superhero television series airing on the CW, has been filmed in several well-known locations around Atlanta, including the Callanwolde Fine Arts Centre and the Muse building on Peachtree.

Set to be released in December of 2019, Superintelligence, an American action comedy film is starring Melissa McCarthy was filmed in various Atlanta landmarks. Filming locations include the Georgia Tech campus and the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

Addison Berreth, Writer

Addison is a sophomore and is excited to be writing stories for Nexus this year. She also participates in HOSA club and dances 13 hours a week outside...