Nexus

Crazy Rich Asians sets the bar high for romantic-comedy movies

Zoya Charania

More stories from Zoya Charania

Crazy Rich Asians has grossed over $280 million worldwide. A sequel is in the works.

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures

Crazy Rich Asians, based off of a novel of the same title by Kevin Kwan, is setting the standard for more diverse films. As one of the most anticipated movies of the year, it did not disappoint.

The film first premiered on Aug. 7 to the TLC Chinese Theatre and then opened in American theaters a week later. It is the first major Hollywood film to showcase a predominantly Asian American cast since 1993.

The movie follows the comedic and heartwarming adventure of an American economics professor, Rachel Chu (Constance Wu), an Asian-American economics professor,  whose boyfriend, Nick Young (Henry Golding) takes her to his home of Singapore for a friend’s wedding.

Soon after their arrival in the stunning city, Chu realizes that her boyfriend isn’t as normal as he acts. the heir to one of the largest and wealthiest real estate companies in Singapore. This news takes her completely by surprise, especially when she realizes she was going to meet this powerhouse family.

With a lot to prove to Young’s pretentious family, especially her intentions with their beloved Nick. Chu feels a tremendous amount of pressure to impress her boyfriend’s family since Young is considered to be one of the most eligible bachelors in Singapore, so all eyes are on Chu the moment she arrives.

Chu feels isolated from Young’s family in even the smallest of ways, like the fact that her wardrobe doesn’t come close to the attire that others will wear when she first meets the family. Also, Young’s family considers her to be more American than Asian, which is something that isn’t received well in a family with “old money” in Singapore.

Most mothers would approve of their son dating an economics professor. However, from the moment Young’s mother, Eleanor (Michelle Yeoh), meets Chu, disappointment is written all over her face. This resentment ultimately leads to Wu facing many challenges in order to be accepted by this empire of a family, and a lot of family drama.

A monumental scene in the film is the picturesque wedding of Young’s friend, Colin Khoo (Chris Pang). The wedding scene is one of the most memorable scenes in the movie. Bright flowers lined the aisle, and the room was illuminated with beautiful lights that blended well with the nature theme. The aisle was a small flowing river that the bride would soon walk through. This is the type of scene that everyone looks for in a movie because of its raw emotions and beauty. It was by far one of the best-directed scenes.

The movie defies many of the stereotypes of Asians and Asian countries. The attractive cast corrects the stereotypes that depict Asian men and women as less attractive to the American eye. Also, the entire movie is aesthetically pleasing, from the actors to the environment and scenery that grabs the eye of anyone watching, showing that Asian countries are beautiful.

Crazy Rich Asians sets the bar high for all romantic comedies that follow its production. I would recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a sweet and comedic film that leaves you with a smile on your face.

Zoya Charania, Writer

Zoya enjoys writing stories for Nexus. She has also been competitively riding horses for 6 years.