Nexus

Blacklist brings a fresh take on crime to Netflix

Carys Van Atta

More stories from Carys Van Atta

Rise of Vans at Grady
September 19, 2018
Back to Article
Back to Article

Special Agent Elizabeth Keen alongside world renowned criminal Raymond Reddington.

NBC

NBC

NBC

An unlikely relationship with FBI’s most wanted criminal and the FBI organization themselves: Raymond Reddington, a former U.S Navy Officer turned high brow criminal turned FBI informant, leads a top secret task force on many operations to arrest elite criminals previously unknown to the bureau. Reddington turns himself in after 30 years off the grid, and he comes equipped with his Blacklist.

Blacklist, premiering in 2013, has since won a Primetime Emmy Award for outstanding stunt coordination for a drama series, limited series or movie, a Top TV Series as an ASCAP award, as well as being nominated for 4 other Emmys and Golden Globes. James Spader (Raymond Reddington) himself, has been nominated for two Golden Globes for Best Actor in a Television Series- drama. The show beat out Game of Thrones for an Emmy in 2014.

The show is produced by Anthony Sparks, creator of Queen Sugar and Lincoln Heights. Along with Anthony Sparks, the creator of Narc, Joe Carnahan directs the series. The show has spectacular ratings, 5-stars on Netflix and 83% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The pilot begins with Special Agent Elizabeth Keen preparing for her first day on the job as a FBI profiler. Her morning with her elementary school teacher husband is quickly turned upside down when a chopper and police escort whisk her away to a Blacksite called the Post Office. Raymond Reddington, the FBI’s most wanted criminal, turns himself in prepared to bargain a deal. He comes with information about a crime about to be committed by a terrorist the FBI assumed dead.

Keen’s life drastically changes when Reddington says he’ll only communicate with Keen. The bureau and Keen herself are boggled with how he seems to know everything about her past and present. Elizabeth becomes target of an investigation to find their connection, however nothing is found.

An endearing scene in the Pilot depicts Keen sitting with a little girl named Beth, the target of a Serbian terrorist. The two are sitting in a car and Beth gives Keen a bracelet for bravery. Keen returns the gesture by showing her a scar she got from a childhood fire, later a vital event in seasons and episodes to come. After a struggle, the girl is kidnapped by the terrorists and Elizabeth is left with her bracelet.

James Spader does a phenomenal job playing Reddington. Reddington is a jack of all trades and has many secrets. He brings a mysterious energy and presence to the Post Office with the other agents on the task force. Each episode is a new criminal from his Blacklist and each criminal brings a new adventure for the task force. One episode they’re chasing a corrupt adoption agency keeping the mothers in comas, another a sex trafficking victim advocate who ends up running the world’s largest cartel and next a “Alchemist” who can fake deaths and change victims entire DNA and bone structure.

Blacklist is unique and differs from other FBI-esque shows because it involves crimes that are intricate and go beyond your typical crime drama. A shadow government organization in season three attempts to restart the Cold War with Russia, the plot in each episode is captivating and unlike any other show.

The Blacklist is a must-see because of James Spader’s characters unique perspective as an informant for the bureau. As a criminal himself, he still runs his operations while handing his competition to the FBI. Each season has about 22 episodes with a running time of 48 minutes. The six seasons on Netflix make the show a perfect binge for a weekend.

The Blacklist is different and better than other crime dramas and isn’t a cliche cop show. The six seasons have received immense positive feedback and rumors of a next season excite.

Carys Van Atta, Writer

Carys enjoys playing Lacrosse, and competing on Grady Jesters.