Nexus

Decatur downsizes for Tiny House Festival

Anna Fedorova
Sunflowers sit on the counter in a tiny home, converted from a school bus. The owner converted the entire bus himself but still finds that the home is a continuous piece of work.

Anna Fedorova

Anna Fedorova

The Decatur Tiny House Festival brought tiny living to Atlanta on Saturday, Sept. 29, and Sunday, Sept. 30. The festival took place from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Electric Place in Downtown Decatur. It featured tiny house construction companies and homeowners showcasing their tiny houses to visitors, food vendors and trucks, and industry experts speaking on the tiny house industry. Tickets were $20 in advance and $25 at the door for a day pass and $35 in advance and $40 at the door for a weekend pass.  

Anna Fedorova
Festival-goers tour a tiny home made out of a shipping container. Shipping containers have gained popularity in the tiny home community because of their versatility and ability to be reused.

Anna Fedorova
A tiny home with an elevated back half features a refrigerator and full-sized bathtub. Tiny homes often only have room for a shower or a walk-in bathtub, making this home unique.

Anna Fedorova
People walk through the living room and kitchen of a tiny home currently occupied by a Georgia couple. Each tiny home is unique because of the creative freedom owners reserve.

Anna Fedorova
Visitors admire a tiny home with a loft. Lofts are often utilized by tiny home constructors as sleeping areas when traditional beds take up too much space. Another common substitute is the Murphy bed.

Anna Fedorova
A couple shows off their tiny home, converted from an old school bus. These converted buses allow for more space, but homeowners have to convert everything themselves because tiny home construction companies rarely renovate buses.

Anna Fedorova
A tiny home constructed by Hummingbird TINY Housing opens its doors to visitors. The home is 40 feet long and includes a washer, dryer, and electric fireplace- luxury commodities in the tiny house market.

Anna Fedorova
A woman inspects a van converted into a home that was put on display at the festival. These vans have become a new form of tiny home and are ideal for camping and road trips.

Anna Fedorova
A flagship tiny home by Movable Roots, a tiny home construction company, is put on display for visitors. The average price of a tiny home ranges from $30,000 to $40,000 while the starting price for this home is $94,999.

Anna Fedorova, Writer

Anna loves running cross country and participates in mock trial.